Thursday, March 11, 2010

Weight Loss: Month 3

Well it's a good news/bad news situation this month. The good news: I'm finally below 300 pounds for the first time since Clinton was in office (and in Monica). I am very, very happy about that. The bad news: this month's weigh-in--293. Yep, that's it--10 whole pounds. Better than a kick in the head, but definitely not as dramatic and satisfying as previous months.

I attribute this to two things. First, diet. Even with a tiny pouch for a stomach, it's still possible to eat the wrong things. My weight loss stalled at 300 for what seemed like forever. I have since cut out all but a minuscule helping of carbs, with those that I do get coming entirely from vegetables. Once I switched to strictly protein and veggies, my weight loss kick-started back up again.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, exercise. Much of this month has been rainy and freezing cold. Trying to exercise in such conditions is a sure-fire recipe for getting sick, and I did just that. Now that the rainy season is subsiding and temperatures should be picking up a bit, I look forward to getting back outside regularly again.

I recently attempted--I stress attempted--week one, day one of the "Couch to 5K" (C25K) program, designed to ease a novice into jogging. Using the C25K iPhone app, which provides "walk" and "run" audio cues while playing your selected music tracks, I managed to make it to the chipper "you are halfway done with your workout" prompt before feeling like I needed a paramedic. I completed the rest of the regimen by fast-walking during the "run" prompts, a strategy that I'll be staying with for a while until I build more stamina.


As you can see, I also finally got my spiffy new Body by Jake "Tower 200" door gym, so I will now be slowly integrating some light strength training into my workout routine. So far, this thing seems to have been everything that it's advertised to be--sturdy, solidly built, easy to install, and easy to use. I look forward to torturing myself on it soon.




So it has been an up-and-down roller coaster of a month, but at least things are still moving in the right direction. Between greater attention to diet and resuming/broadening my exercise regimen, I expect (and hope) to shift my weight loss trend back toward the more dramatic results of months past. Still, even though this was a "slow" month for me, I certainly can't complain about the overall results so far. I was forced to go clothes shopping recently, as my entire wardrobe is far too big. It was a very dramatic way to see just how far I have come.

These two pictures were taken in the dressing room at the store:

<--This is the is the **5X** t-shirt I came in with. I'm practically swimming in it now!











-->This is the new *2X* shirt I just bought. 2X! It's been a long time since I was in a 2X, and I know it's only going to get better!

So, until next month, wish me luck folks! And as always, thank you all for your support and encouragement. It means the world to me.

2 comments:

  1. Does sex count as cardio? How many calories does it burn? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo freaking hot!

    ReplyDelete